Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Don't Eat Paste; Read It

I came across an interesting article on Paste magazine's Web site. The title alone was enough to draw me in: "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: The Shocking Similarities Between Gospel Music and Death Metal." The subject matter was incredibly interesting, and the writing was smooth and powerful. The author got some really good quotes from band members and from the former editor of a Christian music magazine. Citing song lyrics for comparison was incredibly effective.

I was raised going to a small Baptist church, so I'm familiar with most of those hymns. I also listen to a wide range of music and have heard some pretty gory rock and metal lyrics. I think it's a striking comparison, one that I have never considered but from now on will notice more often.

To read the article (because you know you want to), visit:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/10/sabbath-bloody-sabbath.html

No comments: